Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Mosey

Well! Good thing I wasn't in a hurry to get all fit and trim or anything, since I've not been working all that hard on it the last week! But I'm slowly shifting my stance and focus here, so I think it's going to be fine. Probably another couple weeks will slide me fully into something worth talking about.

Things I DID do:

1 - Mowed the front lawn again. Sheesh, it grows like crazy.
2 - A very minor amount of weight lifting from a rocking chair.
Geez, that sums it up.

Things I DIDN'T do:

1 - finish shoveling the soil into containers (maybe today)
2 - plant everything in the containers
3 - rake the backyard (a huge job, zillions of tiny twigs and long grass)
4 - mow the backyard

So hopefully the next few days will see me finally catching up.

Each month, at the turn of month, my kid and I have what she calls 'awesome day'. We go to the olive garden for lunch, then we spend all day in the bookstore, drinking mocha frappes and reading. Sometimes we go somewhere else and she can buy something, like a shirt or shoes or something. Sometimes if we aren't stuffed we'll go somewhere for a late dinner (like 9pm) or just dessert (like outback). The date has to match when I get my paycheck so it's seldom exactly at the first/last day of the month. This month it is this Saturday the 24th.

Hence, our "summer of lowcarb" plans have been set for the 25th, after that. Not that it isn't an always-thing, just that we really want to focus this summer. It's a set-apart time because she's out of school.

Except my body decided yesterday ... to make my start date yesterday. I didn't really want to. I had carby stuff I wanted to eat! But sometimes my body seems to have a mind of its own, and it flatly refused. So this means I'll be going off LC just as I got into ketosis, on Saturday, then back on again. Gah. That is never a good idea, it's hard to do (the going back on and staying there after eating megacarbs). But oh well... I will make it work. Even a few days not eating badly will make me feel more energetic I'm sure.

Having had about 10 carbs in the last 48 hours or so, after being at a normal carby diet (a few hundred a day) for quite awhile, I already feel like eating anything with carbs. Last night the kid asked me to make her oatmeal, but I had to admit that if I went near it, I'd eat it, so... NO. She's been on LC with me before so she knows what it entails. I'm starting to get in that mode where I think vegetables sound good. This definitely indicates approaching ketosis, since they never sound good otherwise. By the time asparagus sounds orgasmic, I'll be within 24 hours max of a hard Ketosis.

Tonight the kid has Karate which means I can't do jack 'cause I'm busy driving her to it, waiting an hour, then back, and added to getting off work and dinner and getting her ready for bed, that's my night. (Welcome to parenthood. "You will have a life again in approximately 18 years.") But I talked with Ry and we've agreed to do a more regular stint at the walking park at least a few times a week, so I don't lose the cardio fluency. I sort of dream of the day when I can rapidly walk the whole thing without it being all that hard.

Which reminds me, there is this thing I'd really like to get. It's a vest (they have male and female forms) that holds small weights, usually 1 or 2 lb rods the vest is designed for. They call it a weighted vest. You start out wearing it around empty or with a pound or so, and then you gradually increase the weight, so it gives your whole body time to adapt. I was thinking it would be kind of cool if I were able to gradually add weight as I lost weight, so instead of losing that muscle I might get to keep it. Is this a crazy idea? It seemed kind of neat to me. I would already have bought one a year ago except my concern that it might not fit me. Hopefully if I can lose another 25# or so the extra large will.

I'm planning to take measurements again -- as frightening as that is! -- and my weight the day we 'officially' begin LC again (5/25), as well as do a fresh survey of what weight I can lift and whether/how many of various exercises I can do. I don't yet have any specific goals for the summer or for the rest of the year except "better than I can do now."

That's all for this week. Hopefully next week I can say I've caught up on tons of garden stuff, shipping stuff, got a new weight training plan together, done some walking park, and been lowcarb for 8 days (minus 1). I should have all my starting numbers, weights and exercises as well.

I'm pretty excited about this summer and the rest of the year. I know it'll be a lot of work, but I'm sure I can do it. It's just a matter of focus and intent.

1 comment:

Marnae said...

When I go to the Olive Garden, I ask for chicken alfredo over whatever vegetable they're serving. They always do it for me, and it's always really yummy.

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.