Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Glass Half Full Psychology

Yesterday was shoulders group #2 (modified overhead press, lateral raise, rear lateral raise, front raise).

I was unusually tired for some reason. I don't mean sleepy. I don't mean sore. I mean when I really was at the point of having to work on the exercises, my body just felt like, "If I used batteries, my power is out." I wondered if I hadn't waited long enough (it's 3 days since I touched that body part), or if being ketogenic and not hardly eating at the same time you want to work out is just so stupid even I should know better than wonder why I have no energy in that case.

I only wanted 40 seconds on the kneebend holds... made 35. Barely. I only wanted 30-30 (30 seconds at 30pm, 30 seconds at 60rpm) on the bike... made like 12 seconds on 60 and then failed to be able to keep it at that rate at all. Sheesh. On the bright side, I took off one of the pedal guards that strap your feet in which makes getting my second foot on WAY easier, and changed how I get off it, so it's no longer such a ridiculous and embarrassing bother. So it's easier to get on and off now, but it frightens me more by the day, haha.

You know I seriously wonder if that bike sitting in the garage for 6 years means it needs cleaning. My sister used to manage a Holiday Spa and I would do a lot of time on the cycles, this around age 20. I recall level 1 as being like, no resistance all. But my level 1 is sorta hard to push the pedals around, and I do not mean it's hard because I'm out of shape, I mean it is just hard, period, for anybody -- there is a LOT of resistance. I'm thinking maybe I'm killing myself and really there is something that needs lubing or cleaning or whatever that would vastly change how this is working.

o0o

I made a cheat-sheet of my exercises, those animated gifs, with their info, plus another pic for each, of the muscle group they work. I'm going to rearrange my workouts somewhat, I've decided, after doing them. Make some standing or incline that weren't, dropping a couple in favor of other near identical ones, rearranging how they are fitting together to reduce work on so much of the same thing that I haven't the strength for whatever exercise comes second.

I made a workout tracking sheet I call "remedial" that is just the "holds" I'm doing to try and build enough muscle to be able to do "real" exercises. On one hand, I'm such a type A overachiever type, that finally applying this to my fitness is an ego-killing frustrating experience; remedial, bosh! I thought I was good at everything I bothered doing, last time I looked. Apparently not at this. But then I tell myself, "....YET." If I can do this, maybe someday, someone will find this blog and realize that if I could, they could, and give it a try.

I feel very optimistic now though, this morning, though last night I was grouchy. Even when the exercises seem too hard for me, even though I've had to pull back my hair in a pony and wear a handtowel around my neck because I literally drip sweat like crazy while doing this stuff it's so tough, even when I'm just really mad when I'm done at what I "can't" do (yet), still it makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.

No matter how pitiful my weights or times, the workout itself is kinda fun, and things can only get better, right? I figure it's important, in any area where I tend to be a bit demoralized, that I take that "glass half full" psychology. "Do the best you can with where you are and live another day to do better." That is what I say about eating lowcarb. I guess I should apply it to exercise, too.
.

No comments:

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.