Monday, June 4, 2007

You get what you ask for

I was thinking this morning that I must not have worked out as hard as I thought yesterday, because I really didn't feel sore. Maybe the slightest "awareness" here and there but no actual soreness. I figured my masochism would have to wait for another day. Then I actually got up to make breakfast for me and the kid. Oh my god! My lower back hurts like hell! Well, it was ME asking for pain, I guess. :-)

I totally forgot to record or mention that yesterday, in my snit about not being able to do the lunge squat, I laid on the Bean and did the closest thing to situps that I could. Which is to say, it's about 1/10 situps, held as long as I can before laying back down. That thing really does help I think, gives a lot more support to the body, and allows me to better do things like 1/10 of a situp than the floor does. (And it's certainly easier to get up off than the floor.) I could feel it bigtime while doing it, all through my lower back, and all through the muscles across my pelvis. Funny enough, I think situps mainly hit the higher abdominal muscles, but that's once you get 'up' far enough for those to kick in. I'm still working on being able to get there to begin with. So the muscles I'm working when barely lifting are a little different I guess.

I've concluded the muscles that are most problematic and need work for me are the ad/ab-ductors and the glutes. Those are the ones that seem dominantly responsible for actually picking up an insanely heavy leg and throwing it over an exercise bicycle. And without some real development in these, throwing this weight around for exercise is not gonna be easy, to understate it.

Today is shoulders group #2 day. Though I want to do some more kneebend holds, tiptoe holds, and tummy holds (as I call my not-remotely-a-situp). Surely if I do those every day the muscles will develop for them. More on the exercise bike too, even though I have already begun to think of it as the monster of my destruction.

Music for today: The Fifth Element, Soundtrack

No comments:

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.