Friday, June 15, 2007

Walking: Starting from Zero

Well, there you have it.

I finally, after two or more weeks of afternoon rain, found a day that wasn't raining (until night) and went to the 'walking park' my city built. I took the kid after karate on Wednesday. I wasn't actually prepared; I wasn't wearing socks, or underwear, or the overshirt I'd have chosen. But it was a realized chance to visit there after so long, so I took it.

The park's route is one mile even. The 4' blacktop sidewalk winds through a square block area like Silly String, to make up that amount. I set off in one direction.

And I didn't get far before I just had to stop and walk to the car. If I got even 1/8 of a mile it'd be a miracle. I didn't have my pedometer with me.

I wondered why I could walk the equivalent of 2 miles in super walmart, but then realized I have a basket to lean on there, which is what I felt like I really wanted on the walking path; something for my back, something to support the lower portion of my torso.

I stood at my car and looked back at the path. I had barely even covered a tiny piece of the overall park before getting so tired, mostly my back, that I felt I should rest. I know that my hips and spine are misaligned due to fat, and that walking is not remotely as easy for me as folks seems to assume it is for everyone. Still, I had hoped for more accomplishment than the tiny section I managed.

I told myself to enjoy the moment. That someday, I would know this park so well it would be a second home. That someday, I would only be able to shake my head in wonder over that past day when I could barely even begin on it before I had to stop. I imagined myself briskly walking through it with weights. I imagined 'regulars' there getting to know me and watching me shrink and eventually being very friendly.

Then I took another sad look at the pitiful little section I'd managed to cover, and got in my car and drove away.

Another day, another few steps on the road to somewhere more fit. I'm hoping for another visit early this evening after my kids' karate class. Hopefully, it can only get better. I tell myself I can do at least that plus 10 steps. Ten more steps. That isn't much right? If I can do at least that plus ten steps, I'll have improved. Eventually they'll add up.

Feel like I'm starting from zero here... just like with everywhere else. My exercise world's biggest challenge is surviving enough of it to someday be able to say I actually DO it.

Updated 5/13/2008: I can walk a mile now without resting.

No comments:

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.